- 500g fresh tuna
- ⅓ cup of citrus juice (lime or lemon)
- ½ red onion, finely sliced and soaked in cold water for 5 mins
- Sea salt
- ½ red chillis (depending on your taste)
- 150ml coconut milk
- 1/4 fresh pineapple
- 1 capsicum
- 2 spring onions
1. Cut the tuna into 1cm cubes and put in a glass or porcelain bowl with half the citrus juice, the red onion (drain the water off first), and a very large pinch of salt, and mix together. Don't be too rough with the fish! Cover and leave in the fridge for 20 minutes.
2. While the fish is 'cooking' in the citrus juice, chop the pineapple into 1cm cubes too, and slice in the capsicum, chilli (discard the seeds and pith if you don't want it too spicy), and spring onions.
3. Drain the old liquid off the fish, but keep the slices of onion then add the rest of the citrus juice, coconut milk, chili, and another large pinch of salt to taste. Cover and leave in the fridge for another 20 minutes.
4. Remove from fridge and add the pineapple, spring onions, capsicum and coriander before serving.
Courtesy of Seafood NZ