NZ Greenshell™ Mussels with leek, potato and saffron soup
Cooking time: 80
Cooking method: Stove top
- 10g onion (sliced)
- 40g leek (white part, chopped)
- 15g butter
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 200g potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 6 threads saffron
- salt and pepper
- 125ml cream
- 20 New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussel, half shell
- 3 sheets nori paper (cut into strips)
- 1 tomato (blanched peeled and finely diced)
- 4 chive spears (finely cut)
- 20 bamboo cocktail forks
- 20 shot glasses
- Sweat onion and leek in butter; add the stock, potatoes and saffron. Simmer for 30-40 minutes until ingredients are soft.
- Blend soup and pass through a fine strainer. Return to a clean pot and reboil, season to taste, remove from the heat and stir in the cream. Correct the consistency and flavour if necessary and then chill.
- Individually wrap the mussels with the nori strips, and then insert bamboo forks lengthways through the mussel meat.
- Mix the diced tomato with the cut chives.
- Three quarter fill the shot glasses with the soup. Drop a small amount of the tomato and chives as garnish on top of the soup.
- Rest a mussel on top of each glass and top with a little more tomato garnish.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood