- 80ml lime juice
- 2 small red chillis, seeds removed and finely diced
- ½ clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1tbsp fish sauce
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 36 NZ Pacific oysters, half shell
- 200g fresh watermelon, 10mm thick slices and skin removed
- Place all ingredients except watermelon + oysters in a large bowl, whisk to combine then store in an airtight container.
- Pat dry the watermelon with a paper towel. Pre-heat the BBQ hot plate (or heavy based fry pan). Lightly brush the watermelon with a small amount of oil & grill on the hot plate (or in the pan) till slightly charred.
- Remove the watermelon from the heat & allow to cool, and then cut the watermelon into medium dices (salsa cut).
- Place a small amount on each oyster & then dress with the lime chilli dressing.
Note: the smoky flavour of the BBO matches well with the oysters & the watermelon offers a refreshing balance to the chilli lime dressing.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood