Fennel and lemon crusted tuna skewers
Chef: Recipe kindly supplied by Sarah Searancke Catering
Cooking time: 45
Cooking method: Barbeque
- 1 cup verjuice
- ¼ orange juice
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 300g butter, cut into cubes
- 4 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 lemons, zested
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1.2kg Tuna fillets, skinned and boneless, cut into 1 inch cubes (you are aiming for 5 cubes of Tuna per skewer, 80 pieces in total)
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges and dismantled into layers
- 16 soaked rosemary stalks or wooden skewers
- ½ cup olive oil plus extra for barbecuing
- To make the verjuice butter, place the verjuice, orange juice and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Continue to boil until reduced by half. Lower heat and whisk in butter a little at a time until sauce starts to thicken. Ensure that the sauce does not come back to the boil otherwise it will separate. Serve warm.
- To make the skewers, place fennel seeds, lemon zest, salt and pepper into a liquidiser and blend until you reach a breadcrumb consistency. You can also use a pestle and mortar to do this as an alternative.
- Skewer the Tuna and onion layers alternately onto partially stripped and soaked rosemary stems or wooden skewers. Brush skewers with olive oil and then sprinkle with fennel and lemon seasoning. Barbecue or grill for 6-8 minutes turning once. Serve immediately.
If using wooden or bamboo skewers, soak them for at least 30 minutes.
Courtesy Seafood NZ