Green lipped mussel, horopito & spinach soup
Chef: Mark Dronjak - The Auckland Seafood School
Cooking time: 35
Cooking method: Stove top
- 3 tbspn olive oil
- 50g butter
- 500g Green-lipped Mussel meat, roughly chopped
- 3 cups spinach leaves, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 tbspn horopito (bush pepper)
- 500mls fish stock
- 100mls full cream milk
- 100mls fresh cream
- manuka smoked sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbspn fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbspn lemon infused olive oil
- Place a heavy bottomed pot onto a medium heat add olive oil and butter and melt. Add Mussels, spinach leaves and horopito. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Slowly add the fish stock to the pan and stir in well. Bring back up to a simmer.
- Puree either with a stick blender or food processor. Return to the pot (if using a food processor) and bring soup to a simmer, adding milk and three quarters of the cream.
- Adjust the flavours and seasoning by adding manuka-smoked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add more horopito to taste.
- Serve in bowls with the remainder of the cream drizzled over, with a sprinkle of chopped parsley and a dash of lemon infused olive oil on top.
An image from The New Zealand Seafood Cookbook.
Text by Auckland Seafood School and contributing chefs; with food photography by Sean Shadbolt.
Published by Penguin Group NZ. ©Auckland Seafood School, 2009.