- a splash of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 300g tomato puree
- 1 pinch saffron strands
- 100mls water
- 800g Groper fillets (Hapuku)
- 1 tspn paprika
- 1 tspn cumin
- flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 12 black olives, pitted
- 12 green olives, pitted
- 2 tspn of capers
- 1 mild red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 mild green chilli, finely sliced
- 1 pickled lemon, peeled and cut into fine strips
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place frying pan on a high heat, add oil and onions and brown slightly.
- Add garlic and tomato puree to the frying pan and simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Dust the Hapuku fillets with paprika, cumin and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Soak saffron strands in water, then add strands and water to the sauce.
- Place fillets into an oiled baking dish with the olives, capers, chillies and pickled lemon. Pour the sauce over the fillets and place into the oven for about 10 minutes.
- When cooked, adjust the seasoning. Portion fish onto individual serving plates and ladle sauce over to serve.
- A glass of Sauvignon will compliment this meal well.
An image from The New Zealand Seafood Cookbook.
Text by Auckland Seafood School and contributing chefs; with food photography by Sean Shadbolt.
Published by Penguin Group NZ. ©Auckland Seafood School, 2009.