- 1 handful Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 limes, zested
- 2 tspn freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 handful fresh chervil, roughly chopped
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 x 180g Salmon fillets, skinned and pin bones removed
- 50mls extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbspn balsamic reduction
- 4 field mushrooms
- 4 small courgettes, quatered lengthways
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- ¼ eggplant, sliced thickly
- 4 baby leeks, trimmed
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 4 tbspn extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbspn basil pesto
- Preheat oven grill or barbecue to a low heat.
- To make the herb crust for the Salmon, mix together the parsley, finely chopped lime zest, pepper, salt, chervil, chilli and garlic in a small bowl.
- Brush the Salmon fillets with olive oil, and dip into herb mix so that both sides are generously coated.
- Place Salmon onto a baking tray and grill, or place directly onto a barbecue hot plate and cook to your liking.
- For the chargrilled vegetables, place mushrooms, courgettes, red onion, eggplant, and leeks into a large bowl and toss with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Transfer vegetables to a baking dish, and place under a moderate grill, or place directly onto a barbecue hot plate and cook, turning, until done.
- Remove vegetables from grill or barbecue, and allow to cool a little before coating with basil pesto.
- Arrange vegetables on a platter or onto individual plates, and top with Salmon. Serve drizzled with a little more basil pesto and balsamic reduction.
An image from The New Zealand Seafood Cookbook.
Text by Auckland Seafood School and contributing chefs; with food photography by Sean Shadbolt.
Published by Penguin Group NZ. ©Auckland Seafood School, 2009.