Kumara topped creamy smoked eel pie
Chef: Recipe kindly supplied by Sarah Searancke Catering
Cooking time: 60
Cooking method: Bake
- 800g kumara, peeled and cut roughly into 1 inch pieces
- 50g butter
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tbspn lemon juice
- 900g smoked eel (or your favourite smoked fish)
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1½ cups spring onions, finely sliced and lightly sautéed
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- ½ cup tasty cheese, grated
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place kumara in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until kumara is soft enough to mash. Remove from the heat and strain the water off. Mash kumara until smooth and add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a saucepan melt butter. Add flour and stir over the heat for a couple of minutes. Gradually add milk, stirring all the time until sauce is smooth and thickened. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stir through cream and lemon juice.
- Remove from the heat. Flake the eel through, add parsley, spring onions, salt and pepper and mix well to combine. Mix through more milk to thin if desired, remembering that it will thin down once it is heated. If you are not using at once, cover with a piece of baking paper to prevent a skin from forming on the top.
- Pour fish mixture into a greased 6-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Spread the mashed kumara over the top of the fish mixture. Mix the two cheeses together and spoon over the mashed kumara.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
Courtesy Seafood NZ