Littleneck Clams Recipe Golden Bays Risotto with Leek and Mushroom
Cooking time: 35
Cooking method: Pan-fry
- 2 tbsp olive Oil
- 2 medium sized leeks, sliced
- 8oz button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 ¾ cups arborio rice
- 6 cups Vegetable stock or water, seasoned with salt and celery seed
- ¼ cup mixed chopped fresh chives and parsley
- ¾ cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon - grated zest & juice
A few tablespoons of butterSalt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat the stock or water to a simmer in a medium sized saucepan while you cook the other ingredients.
- Steam the Golden Bay, NZ Littleneck Clams. Place “Westhaven's-Golden Bay” clams in a large saucepan, add a splash of wine. Put lid on the saucepan and place on high heat. Shake the pan after a couple of minutes then, once the clams have opened, remove from the heat. Strain the clam juice from the pan, save and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and cook the garlic for about 1 minute. Add the leeks, mushrooms and salt and pepper, and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until softened and browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the pot and cook the onion in the butter for about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and stir and fry for about 1 minute.
- Add a few tablespoons of lemon juice and a ladleful of stock, and clam juice to the pan and cook gently, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan, until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in more liquid as each ladleful is absorbed. Continue this process until the risotto is thick and creamy - about 20-25 minutes. The rice should be tender, but firm to the bite. Just before serving, stir in the steamed opened clams, leeks, mushrooms, a tablespoon of butter, grated lemon zest and remaining lemon juice, 2/3 of the Parmesan and the fresh herbs. Adjust the seasonings if necessary. To serve, sprinkle with chopped herbs.
Image and recipe courtesy Westhaven Marketing Ltd