Littleneck Clams Recipe with Fettuccine, Leek, Saffron & Lemon
Cooking time: 25
Cooking method: Pan-fry
- 5Ib Westhaven "GOLDEN BAY - New Zealand Littleneck Clams"
- 2 big garlic cloves, sliced
- 2tbsp good olive oil
- 2 leeks, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 diced red pepper
- 280g fettuccine pasta
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice
Zest of the lemon
Generous pinch of Saffron
When using freshly frozen, Westhaven’s “New Zealand Little neck clams”.
- For the sauce place the olive oil , Leeks, and saffron in a heavy pan use and infuse over a low heat until sautéed but not colored.
- Meanwhile cook your pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Fresh or dried pasta can be used. Reserve a little of the cooking water when draining the pasta pan.
- Turn up the heat to high and add the pre cooked Westhaven “just heat and eat” New Zealand Littleneck clams, with a generous splash of wine and a little water to the pan.
- Put all the shellfish and a splash of wine in the pan and cook with the lid on. After 4-7 minutes the shells will open up. Keeping the lid on, shake the pan so that all the shells cook evenly. (Aside: We recommend shucking 70% of the shells… so that the dish has more clam meat, and yet has the pictorially sculptural shells through the pasta as decoration.) Check that all the shells have opened, and then stir in the parsley and abundant freshly ground black pepper with the reserved, clam juice.
- Add the sauce to the clams. Place the cooked pasta on a presentation pasta plate. Add half the chopped parsley, diced red pepper and mix through.
Turn the clams and sauce on top of pasta. Garnish with parsley and the zest of the lemon.
Image and recipe courtesy Westhaven Marketing Ltd