- 500g centre cut piece of Akaroa Salmon fillet
- 2 tbspn brown sugar
- 1 tbspn salt
- 1 telegraph cucumber
- 50ml white vinegar
- 25g caster sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- zest of lemon
- mandarin and lemon infused extra virgin olive oil
- mixed microgreens
Hot Smoked Salmon
- Cut the Salmon fillet in half lengthways and then cut each half into pieces so you end up with 6 even sized pieces.
- Mix the brown sugar and salt together and then generously top each piece of Salmon with this mixture.
- Put the fillets on to a sheet of foil and place into a hot smoker with a handful of Manuka woodchips. Smoke the Salmon for 15 minutes until just cooked through and a wonderful mahogany colour is achieved. If you don't have a hot smoker the same result can be achieved by placing woodchips into the bottom of a wok and then placing the Salmon on a wire rack above the chips, covering with a lid and then heating the wok on a gas burner and smoking for approx 15 minutes.
Pickled Cucumber Salad
- Slice the cucumber into thin ribbons using a D peeler or mandolin. Set aside.
- Heat the vinegar and sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and cool. When cool, pour over cucumber and marinate for
- 10 - 15 minutes (don't marinate for too long or the cucumber will lose its crispness). Season well with sea salt and black pepper.
Place a stack of cucumber ribbons in to the centre of each plate. Top with the hot smoked Salmon, lemon zest and a few microgreens. Drizzle a little mandarin and lemon oil around the plate and serve immediately.
Courtesy Seafood NZ