- 100g yellow split peas
- cooking oil
- salt and ground white pepper
- 12 New Zealand greenshell™ mussels, half shell
- 1 green apple (fine julienne)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 large red radishes (fine julienne)
- 1 small bunch micro watercress (or watercress finely chopped)
- 1tbsp avocado oil
- optional: ponzu sauce or sweet miso dressing
- Wash and soak yellow split peas for approx two hours, rinse and dry slightly, then deep or shallow fry in oil. Allow to drain on an absorbent paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Loosen the mussel meat from the shell for ease of service.
- In a mixing bowl toss the apple with the lemon juice then add the radish and watercress, dress with avocado oil. Season to taste then add the fried yellow split peas.
- Dress the top of the mussels with the salad.
- Serve cold on a plate or platter - optional accompaniment is ponzu sauce or sweet miso dressing.
This recipe serves 4 people.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood