- 24 New Zealand greenshell mussels – half shell
Rich tomato Sauce – makes approx. 600ml
- 40ml olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 x 400g tins tomato puree
- 6 ripe roma tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil (roughly chopped, saving a small amount for garnish)
- ½ tbsp fresh Italian parsley (roughly chopped)
- Flaky sea salt & cracked black pepper pepper
- In a heavy based saucepan, sauté onions & garlic in the oil until soft & transparent. Add tomatoes & tomato puree, allowing sauce to come up to the boil, and then lower heat to a simmer, allowing the sauce to reduce & become thick. To finish the sauce, season to taste & stir in the fresh herbs.
- Warm the mussels in the sauce & serve in a bowl. This recipe serves 4 people.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood