NZ Greenshell Mussels with Sauvignon Blanc Cream Sauce
Serves: Appetizer for 3-4
Cooking time: 3
Cooking method: Steam
- 1kg Fresh NZ Greenshell Mussels
- 1 clove Garlic (peeled) - finely chopped
- 2 cloves Shallots (peeled) - finely chopped
- 15gm Butter
- 120ml Sauvignon Blanc Wine
- 140ml Cream
- 50gm Carrot – fine julienne
- 1tsp Chives – finely chopped
- 1tsp Parsley – finely chopped
- Salt & fresh ground white pepper to taste
- Rinse the mussels under cold running water.
- Pull out the beards protruding from between the tightly closed shells, clean the shells by scraping with the back of a knife. Give the mussels another quick rinse.
- Heat a large pan big enough to take all the mussels (it should only be half full), sauté the garlic and shallots in the butter.
- Add the mussels and the wine, turn up the heat, then cover and steam the mussels open in their own juices for 3-4 minutes. Give the pan a good shake every now and then.
- Add the cream, chopped parsley, chives and carrot. Allow the liquid to reduce by 1/3, season to taste & remove from the heat.
- Remove the mussels from the pan & place on a serving dish, spoon the remaining sauce over the mussels & serve immediately. Serve with lemon wedges & warm crusty bread.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood