- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, very finely chopped
- ⅔ cup onion, finely chopped
- 500g New Zealand Greenshell ™ mussels, half shell (meat diced, shells retained for serving)
- 2⅔ cups dry white bread crumbs
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- 2tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ½cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 6tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat olive oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add celery and onion, sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl. Stir in mussels, ⅔cup breadcrumbs, chopped chives, parsley and mayonnaise.
- Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper. Mix very gently so not to crush the mussels.
- Using around ⅓cup mixture for each cake, form into twelve 2½inch diameter cakes. Arrange cakes on baking sheet. Chill for at least one hour.
Note: the mussel cakes (up to this point) and the mayonnaise can all be made one day ahead of when required.
- Place flour in small bowl. Whisk eggs to blend in another small bowl.
- Place remaining 2 cups bread crumbs in medium bowl. Coat each cake with flour. Dip into beaten egg, then into breadcrumbs, coating completely.
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat.
Note: Be sure the oil and skillet are hot when you add the mussel cakes or food may stick. Avoid the temptation to flip too soon, before they have a chance to set somewhat and obtain some structure.
- Add cakes in batches, cook until golden brown and heated through, adding more on as necessary, about 5 minutes per side. Serve the mussel cakes with a flavoured mayonnaise of your choice.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood