- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 2 large potatoes, small cubed
- ¼ cups flour
- ¼tsp mace, ground
- ½tsp white pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 150ml heavy cream
- 150ml full cream milk
- 1tbsp sherry
- 50 New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussels, half shell (meat diced, shells reserved)
- chopped chives for garnish
- In a large soup pan, add 200ml of chicken stock, red pepper, green pepper, onion, celery and potatoes; then simmer until potatoes are slightly soft.
- In the remaining 50ml of chicken stock, mix in the flour and add it to the potato mixture. Add the mace, white pepper and nutmeg.
- On a low heat, slowly stir in the heavy cream, full cream milk, sherry and mussels. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Finish the chowder with chopped chives.
- Steam the half shell mussels until just cooked.
- Loosen the mussel meat from the shell, setting aside the meat for the moment.
- Fill each shell with the chowder mixture.
- Add mussel meat back to shell on top of chowder and garnish.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood