- water to boil
- 200g uncooked elbow macaroni
- 100ml heavy cream
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 100g New Zealand Greenshell™ mussel meat
- 40 additional Greenshell™ mussels in half shell to serve
- 30g parmesan, grated
- 30g breadcrumbs (plain dry)
- Heat a large pot of water until it reaches a rolling boil. Add enough salt to make the water taste of the sea. Add macaroni elbows and cook for 6 minutes or until tender. Drain water from pot and reserve pasta.
- In a separate pot, heat cream. Add finely diced onion, celery and carrot. Cook for a further 4 minutes until the vegetables have imparted their flavour. Add cheese and reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Add cooked macaroni elbows, remove from heat and add the mussel meat. Allow the mix to cool.
- Stuff the cooled mixture into additional mussels or serve the macaroni mix in reserved mussel shells. Sprinkle with parmesan and breadcrumbs and heat under a hot grill for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood