- 1tbsp sugar
- 2tbsp sake
- 3tbsp mirin
- 3tbsp soy sauce
- 12 New Zealand Greenshell™ mussels, half shell
- 2 nori sheets
- 12 bamboo skewers (soaked in water to prevent burning)
- lemon wedges (to serve)
- Combine sugar, sake, mirin & soy over heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the mussels from the shell.
- Use a basting brush to glaze the mussels.
- Cut 12 strips of nori (big enough to wrap around the mussel twice).
- Wrap the bottom half of the mussel with the nori and then skewer with the pre-soaked bamboo sticks.
- Grill the mussels over a grill /BBQ/yakitori grill or hot coals, basting them lightly with the glaze. Turn them regularly to prevent burning. They will only take approx 1-2 minutes to cook through depending on the heat of the grill.
- When cooked place the mussels on a suitable serving dish and baste them one more time before serving.
- Serve with a dipping bowl of the remaining glaze and some lemon wedges.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood