- 2 cups sancerre white wine
- 6 cups mussel broth (or chicken stock)
- 1tbsp garlic, freshly peeled and minced
- 4tbsp shallots, diced
- ½ cup fennel, shaved
- 1 cup crème fraiche
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- sea salt to taste
- white pepper, freshly ground to taste
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups water
- 2 x quarters small white onion, peeled and quartered
- 8 x 4inch parsley stems with leaves
- 3 each cloves
- 2 each bay leaf
- ½tsp sea salt
Additional ingredients required for assembly
- 6 New Zealand Greenshell™ mussels in shells
- 6tsp fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and reduce by 50%.
- Add lemon juice and crème fraiche.
- Whisk in butter and season.
- Hold keeping warm.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to simmer.
- Hold for warming mussels.
- Separate mussels from half shell using a sharp knife.
- Warm mussels in poaching stock.
- Put mussels back in shells.
- Place in warm bowl and cover with warm sancerre sauce and scatter with parsley.
- Butter grilled country bread and arrange on side of bowl. Serve immediately.