- 100g short grain rice
- 12-15 threads saffron
- 300ml canola oil
- flaky sea salt
- 150g cold smoked salmon, frozen
- ½ red capsicum, seeds removed & frozen
- 2 large fresh dill sprigs
- 1 mild red chilli, sliced into thin rings
- 240g cream cheese
- 4 fresh NZ King salmon bellies (approx 240g total - 60g portions)
- 50ml organic apple glaze
- 1 green apple
- 1 lemon cut out the segments & reserve
- 12 sml sprigs red mizuna
Saffron rice crisps
- Cook the rice with the saffron a day in advance as per the standard method (although it helps to slightly overcook the rice). Rinse the rice off to cool & wash off excess starch,
sprinkle/scatter the rice out on non-stick oven paper & place on an oven tray. Place the tray into a low warm oven to dry out overnight.
- The next day, heat oil in a medium sized pot. Test the temperature of the oil by dropping grains of rice in, if temperature is correct rice will puff up straight away. Continue with all the rice. Drain off oil and season with salt.
Spiced smoked salmon coating
- This process requires a dehydrator with 2 non-stick sheets. Using a microplane, grate the frozen smoked salmon on one of the non-stick dehydrator sheets & place in the dehydrator until dry & crisp (this will take 24 hrs & will drop a small amount of oil on the sheet). On the other non-stick sheet grate the frozen capsicum using the microplane, add the whole dill sprigs, sliced chilli & place in the dehydrator until dry & crisp (this will also take 24 hrs).
- Once the dehydrated ingredients are dry & crisp, crush them all together to form a spicy smoked salmon coating – some dried chill rings can be kept for garnish.
Spiced smoked salmon cheese rolls
- Soften the cream cheese & place in a piping bag with a 15mm nozzle. Lay out a sheet of plastic food wrap & pipe a length of the cream cheese approx. 20mm inside the long edge & 40mm from either end.
- Roll the plastic wrap over the cream cheese like a sushi roll & twist the ends to form a long roll shape (like a xmas cracker). Tie the ends of the roll with a knot & place in the freezer to firm up. When they have firmed up enough to unwrap (not completely frozen) remove the plastic & portion them into 8 rolls (2 per portion), then roll them in the spiced smoked salmon coating to completely covering the outside - this coating process should be done just prior to serving.
- Trim the bellies into a uniform strip & remove any skin.
To complete the dish
- Set out 4 plates & lay the salmon bellies in the centre of the plate. Brush the salmon with the apple glaze to completely coat the topside.
- Place spiced smoked salmon cheese rolls at the end of the salmon.
- Peel the apple & using a small melon baller, make 12 balls & place 3 on each salmon strip.
- Continue to garnish the salmon with the saffron rice crisps, lemon segments, dried chilli rings & red mizuna.
- Finish the plate by adding drops of apple glaze around the salmon - serve & enjoy.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood