- 85g NZ King salmon, thinly sliced
- 1 romaine lettuce heart
- 8 basil leaves
- 8 coriander leaves
- 8 mint leaves
- 4tbsp red onions, thinly sliced
- 1tsp kosher salt
- ½tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1tbsp lemon-chilli oil
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, de-seeded
- 3tbsp shallots, chopped
- 10 basil leaves
- 20 coriander leaves
- 20 tarragon leaves
- 2tbsp jalapenos, chopped
- 3tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups mineral water
- 6tbsp mirin
- 2tbsp rice vinegar
- 6tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
Additional ingredients required for assembly
- lemon chilli oil
- 12 celery heart leaves
- 4tsp micro mint
- 4tsp dill
- 4tsp popcorn shoots
- 4 each pumpernickel sheets, toasted
- Lay slices of salmon on a plastic-lined baking sheet and top with the leaves of romaine, basil, coriander, mint, red onion, oil and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with lemon chilli oil.
- Roll the salmon into very tight cylinders with all the leaves inside.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse to a thick puree. Season.
- Line a strainer with cheese cloth.
- Set strainer over a bowl.
- Place the puree in the strainer.
- Drain in the refrigerator for about two hours undisturbed.
- Discard puree.
- Reserve consommé.
- Lay three cylinders of salmon on each plate.
- Spoon ¼ cup of consommé around each plate.
- Drizzle a little lemon-chilli oil over the salmon.
- Garnish with leaves of celery heart, micro mint, dill, popcorn shoots and lightly toasted pumpernickel sheets. Serve immediately.