- 3 medium lemons
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil
- 160g fresh fennel bulb, julienned
- ½ red onion, sliced julienned
- 600g salmon fillets, skin on (4 x 150g portions)
- 8 cherry tomatoes cut in ½
- 8 basil, large leaves
- freshly ground white peppercorns to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C.
- Take 2 of the lemons & slice into 12 round slices.
- Lay one large sheet of baking paper on a tray & brush with some of the olive oil, and then in the centre, lay 4 slices of lemon.
- Mix the sliced fennel & onion together, then lay half of the mix on top of the lemons. Place the salmon on top of mixture.
- Scatter on or around the salmon 4 cherry tomato halves & 2 basil leaves and season the salmon.
- Fold paper over to enclose filling. Fold or crimp the edges to seal by starting from one end to make a folded envelope. Place on a large baking tray.
- Repeat the envelope process for the remaining salmon fillets & place on the tray.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until salmon is just cooked through.
- While waiting for the salmon to cook, juice & finely zest the remaining lemon & mix with the remaining olive oil & season, to dress the salmon directly after the envelope has been opened.
- Allow those eating the salmon to rip open the envelope at the table and enjoy the aromas as the steam escapes.
Optional - serve within new season potatoes and salad leaves.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood