- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 600g NZ salmon fillet (skin on preferable)
- 2 lemons, juice & finely grated zest
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 red radishes, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 cup watercress, picked leaves & tips
- ½ cup celery, thinly sliced + middle leaves from the bunch
- 1 green apple, thinly sliced
- ½ small radicchio (could substitute with a small red lettuce), ripped into small pieces
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
To cook the quinoa
- Using a fine mesh strainer rinse the quinoa under fresh running water for a few minutes & allow to drain.
- Place the quinoa in a saucepan & cover with the water, bring to the boil & allow to simmer for approximately 15 minutes, stirring regularly. Remove from heat, & reuse the strainer to drain the water. Run briefly under cold water to cool & stop the cooking process. Place the cooled quinoa in a mixing bowl.
To cook the salmon
- In a heavy based fry pan place a small amount of cooking oil & bring the pan up to a medium to high heat. Place the salmon into the pan skin side down (even if not using the skin continue the same method).
- Allow the salmon to cook two thirds through, then turn the heat off the pan, turn the salmon & allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat & allow to cool.
- Reserve any salmon oil from the pan & allow to cool, this will be used to dress the salad.
Finishing the salad
- Dress the quinoa in the bowl with the lemon juice, olive oil & reserved salmon oil & season to taste.
- Add all other ingredients except the salmon & gently mix to combine the ingredients evenly.
- Place the quinoa salad into your chosen serving bowl.
- Using a fork, flake the salmon into chunky pieces, if you have cooked with the skin on (which should be crispy) then with a knife rough chop the skin & sprinkle it over the salad.
- Place the flaked salmon pieces on top of the salad & serve.
This recipe serves 4-6 people.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood