- ½ cup raspberries
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar (or ½ cup of red wine vinegar & ¼ cup of raspberry vinegar)
- ¼ cup shallots, minced
- 1tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
- pinch flaky sea salt
- 36 NZ Pacific oysters, half shell
- Work raspberries through a mesh sieve with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to remove seeds (you should have about 2 tablespoons of puree).
- In a small bowl, combine raspberry puree with vinegar, shallots and pepper. Season with a pinch of salt. Pour into a small container and freeze for at least 8 hours, stirring once or twice with a fork.
- Loosen the oysters from the shell, but leave in the shell for ease of eating.
- Just before serving, rake the mignonette with a fork and stir it, breaking any big, icy chunks into shards. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of granita onto each oyster and serve. Keep additional mignonette granita in the freezer to top oysters as needed.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood