Pan-fried orange roughy with a citrus cauliflower salad
Cooking time: 30
Cooking method: Pan-fry
600g orange roughy fillets (approx. 4 x 150g portions)
30g cooking oil
Flaky salt & freshly ground white pepper to taste
Salad & Garnish
120g cauliflower, large florets
2 thick slices of sourdough loaf
20 pistachios, toasted and roughly chopped
12 basil Leaves
12 chive stalks
12 saffron Threads
30mls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Broccoli flowers (optional)
Red mizuna (optional)
1/3 cup (loosely packed) fresh parsley sprigs
1/4 cup (loosely packed) fresh tarragon leaves
1cup (loosely packed) spinach leaves
1 cup canola oil
1. Bring a small pot of salted hot water to the boil, blanch the cauliflower in the boiling water till tender to the bite. Cool in ice water and drain.
2. Segment both the lemon and the orange and place the segments into a container until plating. Squeeze the juice from the left-over orange and lemon, also reserving in a container.
3. Add the saffron to a small pan and warm slightly. This allows the oils, colour and flavour to release. Remove from the heat then add the citrus juice. Slice the cauliflower and allow it to marinade in the citrus juice. Doing this should flavour and colour the cauliflower. Leave the cauliflower in the citrus juice until you are ready to serve. The juice will form the base of a dressing.
4. Shake dry the capers and fry in a small shallow fryer until crisp. Place on a paper towel and reserve until plating.
5. Basil leaves can also be fried at this stage – fry until crisp and reserve with the capers.
6. Brush the sour dough with olive oil and lightly toast in a pan or oven. Once cooled, rip the bread into small pieces.
7. All the components of the salad and garnishes can be assembled during plating.
1. Blanch the herbs and spinach leaves in a pot of boiling water for 20 seconds, then refresh in ice water. Remove the herbs and spinach from the water, squeezing the excess water from them.
2. Place the herbs into a food processor and blend, slowly adding the oil. Blend until the oil becomes a vibrant green colour. Reserve in a container until required.
Completing the Dish to Serve
1. Using four warmed plates, place one cooked orange roughy fillet on each.
2. Strain the cauliflower from the citrus juice, mix the juice with the remaining olive oil & season to taste to make the dressing.
3. Evenly assemble the salad and garnish components on each fillet. Dress the fillet with the citrus dressing, spoon a little herb oil on each plate and serve.