- 60ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bulb fresh fennel, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 1-2 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 125ml dry white wine
- 300ml tomato juice
- 300g fresh ripe tomatoes, rough chopped
- 150g sundried tomatoes, rough chopped
- 200ml chicken stock
- 36 New Zealand Greenshell™ mussels (half shell)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 stems fresh coriander, rough chopped leaves and stem
- 6 stems fresh Italian parsley, rough chopped leaves and stem
- salt to taste
- In large stockpot set over medium heat, heat olive oil.
- Add onion & fennel bulb, cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add chorizo and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in paprika, cayenne pepper & bay leaves, cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in wine & simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato juice, chopped tomatoes & sundried tomatoes. Stir in chicken stock. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add mussels, cover, and simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, season with salt then add the coriander and parsley. Serve immediately.
This recipe serves 4-6 people.
Notes: This dish is complemented with a warm fresh loaf of bread & good quality extra virgin olive oil.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood