- 50g butter
- 2 leeks (white part only), cleaned and thinly sliced
- 250g potatoes, peeled and thined slicely
- 1 litre chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Pacific Oysters, freshly shucked
- 80mls cream
- Place a large saucepan on a low heat and add butter. When melted, add leeks and potatoes and gently sweat together for 3-5 minutes to sweeten the leeks.
- Add stock, and bring to a simmer, cooking until potatoes are soft. Remove from heat.
- Puree either with a stick blender or a food processor. Once soup is well blended, season to taste with freshly ground salt and pepper, and return soup to saucepan (if using a food processor).
- Add oysters and bring soup back to a simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add cream.
- To serve, pour soup into 4 demitasse cups and place an oyster in each.
An image from The New Zealand Seafood Cookbook.
Text by Auckland Seafood School and contributing chefs; with food photography by Sean Shadbolt.
Published by Penguin Group NZ. ©Auckland Seafood School, 2009.