Risotto with salmon, shrimps & rocket
Chef: Mark Dronjak (The Auckland Seafood School)
Cooking time: 55
Cooking method: Stove top
- 100mls olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 150g fresh fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 courgettes, deseeded and diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 3 spring onions, finely diced
- 2½ cups arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups fish stock, heated
- 300g Salmon fillet, cut into chunks
- 200g Cod fillet
- 200g pre-cooked shrimps
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 3 tbspn Italian parsley, chopped
- 80g baby rocket leaves
- 100mls fresh cream
- 150g parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Heat a frying pan or electric frying pan and add 20ml of the olive oil.
- Add the vegetables and garlic in order of cooking time and lightly cook. Remove from frying pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add the rest of the olive oil and add rice. Stir the rice on a moderate heat for about 3 minutes. When the rice is lightly toasted, add wine and stir until absorbed. Add the heated fish stock one cup at a time, stirring constantly until absorbed.
- When the rice is almost cooked but still al dente (you may require a little extra water), gently stir in fish, shrimps and lemon zest and juice. Take care not to break up the fish too much and just allow the heat of the rice to cook the fish.
- Stir in the cooked vegetables, parsley, rocket and cream and season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve risotto topped with parmesan, a little freshly ground black pepper and accompanied with lemon wedges. Simply divine!
An image from The New Zealand Seafood Cookbook.
Text by Auckland Seafood School and contributing chefs; with food photography by Sean Shadbolt.
Published by Penguin Group NZ. ©Auckland Seafood School, 2009.