- 6 new season potatoes (Jersey Benies or Perlas), small, cooked & cut into thick slices
- 250ml canola oil, reserve 200ml for the dressing
- flaky sea salt to taste
- 400g NZ King salmon skin on and bones removed, cut into 100g portions
- 8 small fresh new season spears asparagus, cut in half
- 1 free range egg yolk
- 1tsp seeded mustard
- 2 fresh lemons, juice & fine zest from 1 (use other lemon as garnish)
- 1tsp capers, rough chopped
- 1tsp Italian parsley, finely chopped
- ½tsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 free range egg, cooked till soft poached
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 50g red onion, cut into julienned (fine strips)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 small bunch rocket
- On a bbq flat hot plate (or a heavy based frying pan) cook the potatoes with some of the canola oil till crisp & golden, remove from the heat & season with salt, keep warm.
- On the bbq hot plate (or in a heavy based frying pan) cook the salmon skin side down to start, then flip over to quickly finish the cooking process.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, add the asparagus to the BBQ (or pan) allowing the asparagus to cook in some of the salmon oils.
- Place the egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice & zest into a mixing bowl & whisk to combine. Slowly add approx 200ml oil, constantly whisking to make a mayonnaise base (this can also be made in a small food processor). Mix in the chopped capers, parsley, dill & poached egg using the whisk to break up the egg, season to taste.
- Evenly distribute the warm potatoes across 4 plates, and then in the middle of the potatoes, build a small salad with the red onion, asparagus, cherry tomatoes & rocket on each plate. On top of the salad place the salmon & season each plate to taste, finishing with the poached egg dressing. As an additional garnish, add a wedge of lemon.
This recipe serves 4 people.
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood