- 48 fresh Greenshell mussels
- 50mls peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10 garlic shoots or asparagus spears
- 250mls beer
- 125g chilli jam
- 200mls coconut cream
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 handful coriander leaves
- 2 limes, quartered
- Wash and clean mussels, removing beards.
- Heat peanut oil in a wok or saucepan over a medium heat. Add garlic and garlic shoots or asparagus spears and stir fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Turn up the heat, add beer and chilli jam and bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels, place a lid on the wok or saucepan and steam until mussels open.
- Transfer to a serving dish and drizzle with coconut cream. Scatter with basil and coriander and serve with lime wedges.
An image from The New Zealand Seafood Cookbook.
Text by Auckland Seafood School and contributing chefs; with food photography by Sean Shadbolt.
Published by Penguin Group NZ. ©Auckland Seafood School, 2009.