- 24 New Zealand and Greenshell ™ Mussels, half shell
- 2tbsp fish sauce
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 2tbsp minced garlic
- 3tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 3tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- 3tbsp finely minced spring onions
- 2tbsp tom yum paste
- 3 cups tempura flour
- ice cold water
- oil for frying
- 250g well cooked potato (allow to cool before use)
- 3tbsp lemon juice
- 2tsp minced garlic
- 1tbsp minced ginger
- ½tsp finely minced red chilli
- 3 egg yolks
- 3tbsp soy (light)
- 2tbsp sesame oil
- 250ml vegetable oil
- salt & pepper as needed
- lime wedges
- Trim the mussels, removing any fibrous tissue from inside the mussel cavity.
- In a bowl, mix the fish sauce and lime juice & zest with the garlic, ginger, coriander, spring onions and tom yum paste. Add the mussels and turn to coat. Marinate for an hour or so.
- Make the tempura batter, by placing two cups of tempura flour in a bowl and add enough iced water to make a thin batter. Do not over mix, a few lumps are ok.
- Heat a fryer or pan of oil for frying. Quickly toss the mussels in the remaining cup of tempura flour, and then coat into the tempura batter.
- Quickly fry, then place on a paper towel to drain.
- In a mixer, put in the potato and mash well. Add the lemon juice, garlic, ginger, chilli, egg yolks and soy, and mix well.
- Gradually add the oils, a little at a time and season to taste.
Serve the fried mussels with the aioli & a wedge of lime.
Note: Use a mixer for this, not a food processor as this will make the potato go tough and gluey
Image and recipe courtesy Nurtured Seafood