- 4 x 180g Tarakihi fillets
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ¼ telegraph cucumber, deseeded and diced
- ½ yellow capsicum, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 2 tbspn fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tbspn Italian parsley, chopped
- freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tspn cumin seeds
- 1 tspn coriander seeds
- 1 tspn fennel seeds
- ¼ tspn chilli flakes
- 2 tbspn extra virgin olive oil
- To make the Tunisian spice mix, place a clean, dry frying pan onto a medium heat. Add cumin, coriander and fennel seeds and dry roast for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add chilli and continue to dry roast for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from pan, and using a pestle and mortar, grind well.
- In a bowl place the spice mix and enough olive oil to form a runny paste. Coat the fish and set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
- For the salad, place the tomato wedges, cucumber, capsicum, red onion, mint, lemon zest and parsley together in a bowl. Toss together well, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring a frying pan to a medium heat and saute fish fillets until cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place salad onto plates and set aside.
- To serve, place pieces of fish on top of the salad and squeeze lemon juice over the top.
An image from The New Zealand Seafood Cookbook.
Text by Auckland Seafood School and contributing chefs; with food photography by Sean Shadbolt.
Published by Penguin Group NZ. ©Auckland Seafood School, 2009.