600g Hoki fillet, cut into 12 x 50g pieces
1 tbsp. olive oil
12 mini burger/ slider buns
1 Avocado, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp. sour cream
1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
½ red onion, thinly sliced
1 small bunch rocket
Extra virgin olive oil to serve
Lemon mustard relish to serve (recipe follows)
¼ cup aioli
Small slider buns with poppy seed
Grilled lemon wedge
Lemon mustard relish
1 small onion, finely sliced
1 pinch saffron
1 tbsp. mustard seeds
125ml dry white wine
50ml white balsamic vinegar
¾ cup caster sugar
5 lemons, zest and segments (discard the bitter pith and seeds)
1 tbsp. chopped fennel tips
Sea salt and white pepper
- First make the avocado puree, by placing the chopped avocado in a small food processor with the juice of half a lemon and 2 tbsp. cold water. Puree until smooth, stir in the sour cream, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the fennel, red onion and rocket in a bowl. Dress with a little extra virgin olive oil and a little lemon juice. Season to taste.
- To cook the Hoki, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick heavy based frying pan. Lightly season the Hoki pieces with sea salt, then pan-fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and just cooked through. Add the butter and squeeze over the juice of the remaining lemon. Baste the Hoki with the pan juices. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, halve the slider rolls and lightly toast under a grill. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
- To serve, spoon a dollop of avocado puree onto the bottom halves of the rolls, pile on some of the fennel salad, then top with a piece of Hoki. Spoon over a little lemon mustard relish and aioli, then sandwich together with the top halves of the rolls. Place the sliders on a large platter and serve.
Lemon mustard relish
- In a small saucepan, bring the onion, saffron, mustard seed, wine, water and vinegar to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat, add the sugar, lemon zest and juice.
- Slowly simmer for about 45 minutes, or until thick and glossy.
- Add the chopped fennel tips and season to taste with salt and white pepper. Cool and refrigerate overnight.
Recipe by Hopgood's & Co