50ml sesame oil
400g raw prawn meat
1 squid tube, sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
2 spring onions, sliced
1 red chilli, chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
1 x 250g tin dark mushrooms, sliced
1 x 400g tin sliced baby corn or bamboo shoots, cut in strips
4 bunches bird nest egg noodle
1 lime, juiced
20ml soy sauce
40ml sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
Salt & pepper
Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
50g fried onions or store bought crispy shallots, to garnish
50g roasted cashews, to garnish
- Heat up a wok until hot. Add half the oil and sauté the prawns and squid for 2 minutes.
- Bring a pot of seasoned water to the boil. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the rest of the oil to the work and sauté the garlic, onion, chilli, and ginger. Add the mushrooms and corn or bamboo shoots. Reduce heat to ensure the garlic does not burn.
- Blanch the noodles in the boiled water for 4–5 minutes.
- Add drained noodles to the sauté mix, along with all the other ingredients (except the fried onions and cashews). Mix well. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve in noodle boxes with chopsticks. Garnish with fried onions, chopped coriander and roasted cashews.
Recipe by John Campbell, Auckland Seafood School