4 x 180g Smoked Hoki fillets (skin removed)
50g butter, diced
Juice of ½ a lemon
Flaky sea salt & pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
50ml white wine vinegar
100ml white wine
Zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
100ml fresh orange juice
1 thyme sprig
10 white peppercorns
250g unsalted butter, diced
Juice ½ a lemon
2 tbsp. chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line an oven proof roasting pan with non-stick paper.
- Place the Hoki fillets into the lined roasting pan, then top the fish evenly with the diced butter. Crack over little freshly ground pepper and squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Place the fish fillet in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Meanwhile in a small frying-pan, gently fry the garlic in the olive oil until golden, add the bread crumbs, and stir over a medium low heat until nice, golden and toasted. Season with salt and pepper, then drain on a paper towel.
- For the citrus & herb butter sauce, place the vinegar, white wine, citrus zest, orange juice, thyme, shallot and peppercorns in a small sauce pan. Reduce over a high heat until reduced to about 60ml in liquid. Remove the thyme sprig, add the cream and return to the boil. Reduce the heat to heat to low and whisk in the butter until the sauce is smooth and emulsified. Add the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Strain into a clean bowl, then stir through the chopped chives.
- To serve, generously sprinkle the cooked Hoki fillets with the fried bread crumbs, then using a fish slice gently place fish fillets on to warm serving plates. Spoon over the warm citrus and herb butter and serve.
Recipe by Hopgood's & Co