2tbsp olive oil
1 leek, washed well and thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
125ml white wine
½ cup chicken stock
1 cup cream
Large pinch of saffron threads, soaked in 50ml warm water
1kg clams, purged
400g good-quality spaghetti
2tsp fresh dill, chopped
3tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
½ lemon, juiced
Salt & pepper
- Heat butter and oil in a large lidded saucepan then add leek, garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add wine and increase heat to medium. Cook until reduced by half.
- Add chicken stock, cream, and saffron mixture and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add clams, cover and cook for 5–8 minutes or until clams open. Discard any unopened clams.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente, then drain well.
- Stir dill, parsley, and lemon juice into clam mixture, season to taste.
- Add spaghetti and toss gently to combine.
- Serve in shallow bowls.
Recipe by Marco Edwardes, Auckland Seafood School