1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp sake
3 tbsp mirin
3 tbsp soy sauce
12 New Zealand Greenshell™ mussels, half shell
2 sheets nori seaweed
12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water to prevent burning
Lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine sugar, sake, mirin, and soy over heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the mussels from the shell.
- Use a basting brush to glaze the mussels.
- Cut 12 strips of nori big enough to wrap around the mussel twice.
- Wrap the bottom half of the mussel with the nori and then skewer with the pre-soaked bamboo sticks.
- Grill the mussels over a grill or BBQ, basting them lightly with the glaze and turning regularly to prevent burning. They should only take approx 1-2 minutes to cook through, depending on the heat of the grill.
- When cooked, place the mussels on a suitable serving dish and baste them one more time before serving.
- Serve with a dipping bowl of the remaining glaze and some lemon wedges.
Recipe by Nurtured Seafood