2 cups quinoa
3 cups water
600g NZ salmon fillet
2 lemons, juiced & zested
50ml extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper
6 red radishes, thinly sliced into rounds
1 cup watercress, picked leaves & tips
½ cup celery, thinly sliced & leaves
1 green apple, thinly sliced
½ small radicchio (or small red lettuce), ripped into small pieces
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
To cook the quinoa
- Using a fine mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa under fresh running water for a few minutes and allow to drain.
- Place the quinoa in a saucepan, cover with the water and bring to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for approximately 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat, and reuse the strainer to drain the water.
- Run briefly under cold water to cool and stop the cooking process.
- Place the cooled quinoa in a mixing bowl.
To cook the salmon
- In a heavy based fry pan, place a small amount of cooking oil and bring the pan up to a medium to high heat.
- Place the salmon into the pan, skin side down.
- Allow the salmon to cook two thirds through, then turn the heat off the pan, turn the salmon and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Reserve any salmon oil from the pan. The cooled oil will be used to dress the salad.
Finishing the salad
- Dress the quinoa in the bowl with the lemon juice, olive oil, reserved salmon oil and season to taste.
- Add all other ingredients, except the salmon, and gently mix to combine the ingredients evenly.
- Place the quinoa salad into your chosen serving bowl.
- Using a fork, flake the salmon into chunky pieces, removing from the skin
- Rough chop the crispy skin and sprinkle it over the salad.
- Place the flaked salmon pieces on top of the salad and serve.
Recipe by Nurtured Seafood