3 dozen NZ Pacific oysters, half shell
Fresh coriander for garnish
Lime wedge for garnish
50g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
2g ground coriander seeds, toasted
1 small red chilli (medium heat), chopped
½ clove fresh garlic, crushed
10ml sweet red chilli sauce
4 drops Thai fish sauce
20g sesame seeds, lightly toasted
3 small kaffir lime leaves chopped
1 fresh lime, juiced and zest of half
100ml soy oil
Salt to taste
This dish calls for nam pla, the Thai style of fish sauce that is saltier and more pungent than its Vietnamese counterpart, known as nuoc mam, which is much lighter in taste.
Popular Thai fish sauce bands include Golden Boy, MegaChef, and Squid.
If you have some of the pesto leftover, it can be thinned out with more oil to create a dressing.
- Combine all the Pesto ingredients except the salt, oil, and lime juice into a food processor and blend together thoroughly.
- Slowly add the oil to thin the mixture.
- Finish with the lime juice to sharpen the pesto and season with salt to taste.
- To serve, dress the top of the oysters with the pesto and allow to marinate for approx 30 minutes in a chiller before serving.
- Garnish with fresh coriander stems & lime wedges.