500g new potatoes, washed
40ml olive oil
4 x 180g King salmon fillets, pin boned & skin on
100g pancetta, cubed or finely sliced
100g onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
500g broad beans, peeled
200ml olive oil
50g onion, diced
1 garlic clove, peeled & chopped
1 tsp hot curry powder
1 tsp yellow mustard seed
50ml light vinegar (or verjuice)
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
Salt & pepper
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. Slice the potatoes and blanch for 4 minutes, then drain.
- Heat a pan with some of the oil and sauté the potatoes for colour.
- While doing so, heat another pan with a little of the oil and cook the salmon on both sides for about 6 minutes. Start with skin side down first, cook for 4 minutes then turn and finish off.
- Add the pancetta, onion, and garlic to the potatoes and cook through. Add the beans and seasoning.
- To serve, place some of the bean & potato mix in a bowl. Add the salmon, then top with more of the ragout. Drizzle with the curry dressing.
- Heat a pan with 50ml of the oil, sweat the onion and garlic.
- Add the curry powder, mustard seeds, and vinegar and mix well.
- Place the mix into a bowl and with a stick blender or fork, gently whisk in the balance of oil, coriander, salt, and pepper to create a dressing.
Recipe by John Campbell, Auckland Seafood School