60ml olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 bulb fresh fennel, diced
4 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
1-2 chorizo sausage, sliced
2 tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
125ml dry white wine
300ml tomato juice
300g fresh ripe tomatoes, rough chopped
150g sundried tomatoes, rough chopped
200ml chicken stock
36 New Zealand Greenshell™ mussels (half shell)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
6 stems fresh coriander, leaves & stem rough chopped
6 stems fresh Italian parsley, leaves & stem rough chopped
This classic dish is best enjoyed with a warm fresh loaf of bread and some good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- In large stockpot set over medium heat, heat olive oil.
- Add onion, fennel bulb and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chorizo and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in paprika, cayenne pepper & bay leaves, cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in wine & simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato juice, chopped tomatoes & sundried tomatoes.
- Stir in chicken stock. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add mussels, cover, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, season with salt then add the coriander and parsley. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Nurtured Seafood