6 new season potatoes (Jersey Benies or Perlas), small, cooked & cut into thick slices
250ml canola oil, 200ml reserved for the dressing
400g NZ King salmon skin on and bones removed, cut into 100g portions
8 small asparagus spears, trimmed & cut in half
1tsp capers, rough chopped
1tsp Italian parsley, finely chopped
½tsp fresh dill, finely chopped
1 free range egg, soft poached
50g red onion, julienned
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small bunch rocket
Salt & Pepper
Lemon wedges to garnish
For the dressing
1 free range egg yolk
1tsp seeded mustard
1 fresh lemon, juiced & zested
250ml canola oil
- In a heavy based frying pan or bbq flat hot plate, cook the potatoes the canola oil until crisp & golden, remove from the heat & season with salt, keep warm.
- In the same pan cook the salmon skin side down to start, then flip over to quickly finish the cooking process.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, add the asparagus to the pan, allowing the asparagus to cook in some of the salmon oils.
- To make the dressing, place the egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice, zest into a mixing bowl or small food processor and whisk to combine. Slowly add approx 200ml oil, constantly whisking to make a mayonnaise base.
- Mix in the chopped capers, parsley, dill and poached egg into the dressing, using a whisk to break up the egg, season to taste.
- Evenly distribute the warm potatoes and build a small salad in the middle with the red onion, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, rocket on each plate.
- On top of the salad place the salmon and season each plate to taste, finishing with the poached egg dressing.
- Garnish with a wedge of lemon.
Recipe by Nurtured Seafood