800g Hoki skin off and cut into goujons
1 cup of rice flour
Canola oil for frying
Sea salt & pepper
1 cucumber, deseeded and finely sliced
25ml rice wine vinegar
25 g caster sugar
25ml boiling water
5g sea salt
1 tbsp. chopped dill or fennel tips
6 black garlic cloves
½ cup good quality mayonnaise
Juice of ½ a lime
Dill / fennel tips and extra virgin olive oil for serving
- To prepare the pickled cucumber, place cucumber slices into a small bowl. Bring the vinegar, sugar and water to the boil in a small saucepan, allow the sugar to dissolve, then add the salt and chopped dill. Pour over the cucumber and allow to cool.
- Dust the Hoki goujons in the rice flour, shake off the excess, then place in a single layer on a tray. Place in the fridge for 1 hr.
- For the black garlic mayo, crush and work the garlic cloves into a smooth paste, then stir through the mayonnaise. Add the lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat deep fryer to 185°C. Once at temperature fry the Hoki goujons until lightly golden and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper, then season generously with salt and pepper. (Alternatively shallow fry the fish in batches, in a deep heavy based frying pan.)
- To serve, place a small smear of the black garlic mayo onto serving plates. Top with a little pickled cucumber, then divide the salt and pepper Hoki between the plates. Sprinkle over some chopped dill tips and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil. Serve.
Recipe by Hopgood's & Co