4 Squid tubes (or 2 whole Squid)
Oil for frying
130g rice flour
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp Szechuan pepper, finely ground
1 tsp flaky salt
1 lemon, cut into 12 wedges
16-20 coriander leaves
30 pieces fried shallots
1 fresh chilli, finely sliced
16-20 each enoki/needle mushrooms
Don't be put off if you can't find all of the ingredients at your local store, Szechuan pepper and fried shallots can be found in Asian grocers, as well as in some supermarkets. If you can't find the Enoki/Needle mushrooms fresh, you can pick them up canned.
- To prepare the squid tubes, cut the tube in half lengthwise and remove cartilage/cuttle bone. This is the thin clear shard that runs the length of the tube.
- Score the squid without completely cutting through, scoring the full length of the squid with lines approximately 5mm apart on a 45 degree angle.
- If using whole squid, cut the tentacles and scrub to remove any of the hard sucker rings, remove the beak from the tube, and cut the triangle tail from the tube - only use the cleaned tentacles and cleaned tube.
- Cut the tubes and tentacles into bite sized pieces.
- Mix seasoning ingredients well.
- Place the squid into the milk.
- Heat the oil to 185°c in a deep fryer.
- Remove the squid from the milk and shake any excess milk, then dredge the squid through the seasoning.
- Fry small amounts of squid till the coating is crisp.
- Remove and drain on a paper towel.
- Portion the squid and garnishes between four plates and serve hot.
Recipe by Deepwater Group